View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Nobody is looking for a rock crawler. From my experience the vast majority of roads and trails out there can be handled by a stock forester. Some trails have obstacles, but most are placed not as an obstacle to the route buto as a side thing people go over for fun not necessity. Lately the forest service has been closing all the bad roads anyway to all vehicles. The 4.0 jeep motor is great, I had a 95 grand before my Forester. It got 13mpg doing the same day to day routine the forster gets 25. The Jeep motor died at 165k where the Forester is still going strong. I think they both fit about the same amount of gear and people. I paid $3000 for the Jeep, drove it 3 years, the motor dropped 2 cylinders and I sold it for $700. The Forester cost $3000 I have had it 3 years, the clutch died so I spent $400 and did everything headgaskets, timing belt, water pump, and the clutch. It is worth more then $3000 now. I like them both a bunch, both went everywhere I wanted, but the Forester is less expensive to operate.