View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
yesthatsteve
EcoModding Lurker

The Buick - '13 Buick LaCrosse eAssist
90 day: 33.05 mpg (US)
Yup, the eAssist uses an electric motor in place of the alternator, with batteries that take up about 2 cubic feet of trunk space. It provides an additional 15 hp and 79 ft-lb under acceleration. It also uses auto-stop when you'd otherwise be idling without the AC going, and has a more aggressive DFCO.

The .33 drag coefficient is for the V6 models. The 4-cylinder with eAssist got some aero tweaks, like a different underbody tray, a lip on the trunk lid, and active flaps behind the front fascia to force more air around the car, rather than through the engine compartment. The cooling system has 2.6 quarts more capacity to make up for that.

This is the first automatic transmission I've had as a daily driver in 11 years, and I have no idea how to boost fuel economy numbers like I did with the manuals. At roughly 130 miles into my first tank (15.8 gallons), I'm still just above the 3/4 mark on the fuel gauge, and the onboard FE readout puts me at 29.2. Not bad, but plenty of room for improvement.

Thanks for the welcome!