View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #52 (permalink)
stealth
EcoModding Lurker

Stealth II - '16 Stealth Racing Stealth II
90 day: 2117.65 mpg (US)
Hello everyone, been a long time since the last post and a lot has happened since then. Over the summer, I have been built my new car and only just managed to make to the last three races including the International Final. The build took about 3 1/2 months from start to finish and took hundreds of hours to complete but I'm fairly happy about how it all came out.

The chassis is a carbon fibre semi-monocoque that has been made on a massive jig, using a laminate type construction with 10mm foam core and a heavy carbon skin on each side. The top is the same, except with fibreglass to reduce costs. Underneath the car, there is a tunnel between the wheels to reduce FA and improve rear end aerodynamics as mentioned earlier in the thread. It uses the mandatory 240W electric motor and 2 x 12v car batteries, has 24 ah capacity when discharged 23-25A. Weighs about 65 - 70 kg without driver, but including batteries and motor.

I went to start line of the first race, with no practice or testing all, and managed to finish 6th place in F24+ which has a ultra-competetive field. I went to the final being a little bit more prepared, and was battling hard against other teams for the entire hour race, Finished 5th but only 14 seconds within 3rd place. out of a field of almost 40 cars. There was about 5 - 6 cars within a minute of each other at the end of the hour so was a well earned result. I will be improving the car for the next year with some aero tweaks and weight saving.

Also since you lot like your MPGs etc, I have also worked out my car's MPG equivalent, probably not too accurate but within the ballpark. Don't know whether it's a record or not for this forum

36,650Wh in a gallon of petrol.
36 miles in a hour race.
576Wh used in the race
16Wh/mile
36,650/16 = 2290 MPG!

You can also follow me on Twitter for any more race or build updates.
https://twitter.com/Stealth_Racing
The Following User Says Thank You to stealth For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-29-2016)