View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
AntiochOG
EcoModding Apprentice

Cinco The Miata - '90 Mazda Miata
Team Mazda
Sports Cars
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Oscar Wilde - '02 Honda Metropolitan
Motorcycle
90 day: 94.9 mpg (US)
The HCH is my wife's car, but she didn't need it yesterday. I was able to take the car to work to see what kind of mileage I could get on my commute. I was hoping to get close to 60MPG, but was a little disappointed that I only got 50.7 according to the cars computer. I'm sure if it had been warmer and not raining that would have helped. Some LRR tires would probably help too.

On my way home from work, there is a 6 mile stretch with a 45 MPH speed limit. On a good day I will get to drive for several miles on this road without anyone behind me. If there is no one behind me then I pulse and glide from 50-25 MPH with EOC. This seems to be a big improvement over driving steady state at 45 or 50, but this is in my Miata. In the Civic I wasn't sure what to do. I had the opportunity to pulse and glide yesterday, but I wasn't sure what the right technique was in a hybrid. My normal style involves accelerating from 25 to 50 at maybe 75% throttle, if I did this in the Civic and then shut the car off for my coast the IMA battery would be completely drained after a few miles. How should I approach a 45 MPH road for ideal mileage?

TL;DR How do I (or should I even) P & G in an HCH1?