View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 02:01 AM   #209 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
And another problem, that I don't think has been touched on in this thread yet:

Unless You Own A House, Living With An Electric Car Still Sucks In 2016

For reference, 52% of Los Angeles residents are renters.

This is a particular concern for me as well; I wouldn't mind picking up a Prius Prime now that they're out, and 25 miles of range would be more than adequate for my daily driving while still having a gas engine for road trips. But, since I live in a multi-unit building and don't have a garage or even an assigned parking spot, I have nowhere to plug it in.
Plenty of people rent single family homes with a garage. Maybe not in LA but they do here in PDX. Portland (maybe OR) also has building codes that require a 240v plug for a level 2 charger to be installed in every garage for newly constructed homes. Over time having a charger will be standard for a garage.

In multi-unit buildings the property manager could install chargers in dedicated EV parking spots for tenants to use. They could be pay chargers or free depending on how they want to do it. Plenty of rentals roll utilities into the rent so there is no reason EV charging could be another.

I agree owning an EV isn't practical for someone that does not have a dedicated place to charge that EV. However, that is not the limitation for EV adoption today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
The other side of this form of range anxiety (that is, where you've already bought the EV, and aren't sure if it will make it home) is what do you do if you DO run out of charge short of your destination? With an IC engine, if I run out of gas (and it has happened a few times over the years) it's at worst a mild inconvenience to hike to the nearest gas station and back with a gas can. But AFAIK there's no practical equivalent for pure EVs.
I could detour to the nearest place I could find a plug and use the 110v charger that comes with the car and stores under the hatch. There are millions of EV charging stations around the nation, they are just slow.

I could also call AAA

Last edited by JSH; 10-27-2016 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Typo