View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 05:05 PM   #42 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quick update, I haven't had much time to mod the car, since I've been busy with work, selling the FR-S, and cleaning the MR2 up. I did put in a PCV catch can the other day, which will help the O2 sensors and cat stay alive longer, which is some form of "ecomodding" I guess. Wrapped steel wire around normal PVC hose to make DIY cheap vacuum hose heh.

I've taken off the 225 racing tires and put on stock width (185 front 205 rear) street tires, which seem to have improved the rolling resistance a bit, maybe it's just in my head. Drag and lift should be slightly reduced, by how much i don't know.

Today I saw this on Spyderchat:

Someone made a mount plate for racing mirrors and is going to make a batch to sell! I'm going to buy a set with his group buy and put on the Pegasus Racing elliptical club mirrors:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecID=10133

Based on the shape, I am guessing their Cd is a good bit lower than the blunt rectangle stock mirrors, and they're also smaller too, perhaps just 50% the frontal area. The stalk is much much thinner than the OEM mirror stalk, and the mirror itself looks substantially smaller from pictures. The Cd of the racing mirror itself is perhaps something in the 0.2-0.3 range, from what I recall aerohead saying about mirror shapes. By contrast, the stock mirrors are basically a blunt rectangle, which has a very high Cd, perhaps something like 1 or higher.

If the mirrors constitute 10% of the car's aerodynamic drag, then I would expect these to shave 7% off the total drag of the car. I'm also dropping around 10 lbs of high up weight as well. If the mirrors only add say 6% drag to the car, it would save 4% of the total drag of the car, which still isn't bad. That should be worth 2-3% more freeway mpg.

Last edited by serialk11r; 10-31-2016 at 05:26 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (11-05-2016)