Thread: Noob From Aus
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 06:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
thepunisher
EcoModding Lurker

Pink Bits - '98 Toyota Starlet Life Max
Team Toyota
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The bit about the power steering components has a bit of room for interpretation. As written it requires that any installed power steering components have to be in good order, so that rules out the old looping-the-lines trick. It doesn't say that you have to have it.

Obviously you guys in Australia know your road nannies better than I do so feel free to ignore me. But if a concurrent Starlet was available in Oz without PS, doesn't that open the door to removing it from yours? Just install the same hardware that would be on a non-PS Starlet and enjoy the reduced engine load. It wouldn't be stock to your car but it would be a stock application.

[edit]
(reads the rest of the earlier posts)

Sorry, never mind. But I believe there are significant gains to be made there, the engine isn't especially powerful so whatever load you take off it is going to be good for you.
I agree the rule is somewhat open to interpretation but it would depend on the cop that wants to have a look, although it's a 98 green starlet, i would bet a lot of money i'd never even be pulled over if I was driving normally let alone check under the bonnet haha. My skyline on the other hand, if I saw a cop I'd start counting down from 10 and rarely reached 1 before they pulled me up. Road nannies suits Australia, or at least Victoria perfectly! We used to have number plates that said "Victoria - The Place To Be" ... the place to be fined!

It would be legal to install a non PS rack from the lower model starlet and remove all the associated PS parts but it's just laziness and too many other things to do that is stopping me.