View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
We are talking about <b>regular</b> maintenance.
Who are you calling "we" here? I think everyone but you is talking about ALL maintenance, and I think it's a little dishonest to talk about maintenance as though it only involves the power train.

Quote:
An EV drivetrain has about 15 moving parts, with very little wear and tear, and no vibration, and almost no waste heat. By definition, it will have less long term problems.
Not necessarily. If you want to be technical, an EV power train has billions and billions of moving parts: they're just moving at atomic scale. Which is why, as I said above, the biggest long-term maintenance issue with my Insight involves the battery, and that didn't show up until the car had been driven for about 8 years.

The thing about the maintenance issues with IC engines is that almost all of them are trivial to take care of. Even a total engine rebuild is not out of reach of the average mechanically-inclined person. With an EV, it seems as though any battery problems require trips to the dealer for a complete replacement, and that's not going to be covered under warranty forever, you know.

Seems IC versus EV maintenance is rather like the difference between working on a standard PC and an iPhone. Almost anyone can replace or upgrade parts in a standard desktop/tower machine, or even build one from parts. Even notebooks aren't impossible to work on. But try working on an iPhone, or indeed, an i-Anything :-(