View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #110 (permalink)
MPGeo
EcoModding Apprentice

MPGeo - '93 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 67.51 mpg (US)
Soon: 165/80/15

Currently I have a set of 155/80/R12 on my car with fairly low miles on them, so no rush to replace tires based on thread wear, but I want to experiment with bigger tire sizes as it's a proven way to increase FE.

I have a set of factory Metro 13" wheels, and also a set of factory Honda 15"x7"s that fit the Metro. Neither set has a good pair of tires, plus the Honda tires are a bit too wide, so I would have to buy some tires just to experiment with either of these sizes, so I might as well make a targeted buy.

So in the past few weeks I've been playing around quite a bit with this tire size calculator and comparing my current 12" tire size with all the options available for the 13" & 15" and based on thread width, side wall height, and revs-per-mile I chose a few preferred tire sizes for each rim size and hit the used tire shop circuit around town.

I had no luck with the 13" sizes that I wanted, and almost no luck with the 15" sizes. But yesterday I was able to find only two, non-matching, but with great thread 165/80/15's... So I had them forced feed those babies onto the 7" rim ...

I'll be running a few tanks on the mods that I have with the new tach once it comes in this weekend, then I'll throw the 15"s on to see what they do.