View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #47 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
I said EV's have zero regular maintenance costs. And ALL vehicle have tires and wipers, etc. - so how does that matter to this discussion?
It matters when people claim that EVs are zero maintenance (or nearly so), glossing over the fact that there are a lot of common items that will need maintenance.

Quote:
So, you claim they are moving (even though they are not) because they wear out?
No, I am saying that they are maintenance items because they wear, and - like it or not - that wear is due to the movement of electrons.

Quote:
Electrons are not "moving parts"; no matter how much you want them to be.
Electrons do move, that's basic physics. And various ions do move in batteries.

Quote:
If you can even count all the moving parts in an ICE, then I think you will have to concede that EV's are MUCH easier to maintain, and understand that they will last MUCH longer.
Have you counted all the individual cells in an EV battery pack? (7104 in a Tesla 84 KWh pack, per this: https://electrek.co/2016/02/03/tesla...r-down-85-kwh/ ) Each one is subject to 'wear' (I admit that's not a precise term, but the problem is the language not having a 1:1 relationship to reality), and is a failure point.

Quote:
Batteries will last as long as a typical ICE and/or it's transmission. Individual cells and/or modules can be replaced.
Tell this to someone who hasn't been driving a 2000 Insight for the last 13 years or so. (And whose other vehicle isn't a 1988 model.) When I first bought it, I could use most of the battery capacity (per the gauge) in hill climbing &c. Now (and despite rebalancing &c every year or so) I can use barely 1/4 of the gauge capacity before the system either recals or throws an IMA fault. Which requires 'maintenance' of a sort: pry out the #18 fuse and wait for a system reset.