View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #2880 (permalink)
mora
EcoModding Apprentice

Golfwagen - '89 Volkswagen Golf mk2
90 day: 107.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopL View Post
Thanks for getting back so fast! My grandfather says the motor was used by dominion power in some s-10 pickup truck conversions. Dominion power used them in the early 2000's so its not too old. We haven't been able to find too much about the motor but its made by Hughes power control systems and on the motor itself it says it is 60 kw peak. I know that it is oil cooled as well.
It looks like you are converting a similar car. How far have you gotten? what motor/controller are you using? Do you have Batteries? Where did you find them or do you have a plan to get them from somewhere? What voltage are you going for?
Thanks so much for the help!
Cooper
My conversion was finished back in 2010. I drove it 4,5 years and then rust became too big issue. It was DC motor at 144V and of course P&S DC controller. Now I'd like to start similar conversion but with rewound AC motor and P&S controller! 140-160V. For batteries I'd use 18650 cells as they are pretty cheap right now. You should consider finding a wreck Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt or anything similar for batteries. Disassemble, sell controller, motor and keep batteries. Even if you only bought a battery from wreckage it will be cheaper than getting brand new cells.

Then back to controller topic