View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Did you get new tires or are the worn ones still on the front?

For the water issue, sounds like parking facing downhill could help.
I rotated the front tires to the rear. Now the front end has perfect tires, and the rears have the ones with the inside tread wear. The way I drive vehicles should start to even out the wear (fast cornering).

I'm parking downhill now, and have left the drainplug out. I've got the carpeting propped up with dowels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Are you absolutely certain something similar didn't happen? Has it visibly flooded since? Did you take out the carpet and padding and dry everything immediately, or could the water in there now be leftover from the first incident?
I do not know if there was water previously since I didn't feel any wetness. My only indication that there might have been some water infiltration before the latest accident was the musty smell and the fact that my windows have a much bigger problem with fogging than any vehicle I've seen.

I wasn't able to pull up the carpeting until a week after it had standing water. It's not completely removed, just pulled up enough to run a space heater to dry it out.

There is a spot under the hood that I can spray water into and find it running down into the front footwell. That's my suspected point of entry, but there shouldn't be any way for water to get into that hole in the first place, and the major flooding didn't happen until this last accident.

I'll probaby be pulling the fender off in the next few days to further investigate. Oder removal is my last priority; first is to ensure I have located the source of the leak and then stop it.

BTW- My footwell carpeting looks very similar to that picture, with foam and batting attached to the bottom of the carpeting. There is a plastic layer though that allows the carpet to feel dry while it is wet underneath. I'm wondering if that's why I didn't realize there was some water infiltration before (assuming there was water before).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!