View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cowcharge
EcoModding Lurker

After voting, I put the last six coats of clear on my truck box lid. It was warm out today, thankfully, since when I did the first 7 coats in the cellar the fumes went up the old forced-air heating vents and stunk up the whole house. After it cures for a few days I'll wetsand, then hit it with rubbing compound. Not a great match for the truck color, but it looks OK... The flash still makes it look more orangey than it is. It's kind of in between the red of the truck and the orange stripes on my camper, so maybe it'll fit in, LOL.

I've also been gathering parts for it. I bought two lead screws (along with nuts, bearings, collars etc.) on Ebay to use for the powered solar panel tilt mount (to the tune of $110, sure costs a lot more than threaded rod, but so much better for the purpose). I'm going to drive them with the motors from two 12v Ryobi drills I also got on Ebay. I also bought a couple of heavy-duty stainless hinges, two 120-lb gas cylinders to hold the lid up, and ordered some truck cap lock parts to keep it secure. I'm hoping to be able to get three T-handle cap locks that are keyed the same, for the lid and the two side doors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowcharge For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-12-2016), Giles_K (11-09-2016)