View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #144 (permalink)
whitevette
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I saw this discussion last week and have been looking at some of my old articles and SAE stuff.-------------The nuts and bolts of it seems to be that you don't exceed the max. rated pressure embossed on the sidewall of the tire.---over-inflating the tires beyond recommended pressures will reward you with no measurable improvement in mpg.

Factory pressures are set for braking bias,and determine whether the car will oversteer or understeer,once the limits of adhesion are reached.Carmakers like cars to break loose at the front first,then a simple steering input can restore direction.Altering pressures with indescretion could allow the car to swap ends violently ,when pushed in an emergency maneuver.Please don't gamble with your lives for the sake of a liter or gallon of fuel.
"...seems to be..."? How concrete is this? "Over-inflating the tires beyond recommended pressures ... no measurable improvement in MPG (sic)." I do not know what planet you live on, sir ... but in my neck of the woods, your words carry no weight. Any IMSA person ( myself included) knows to the contrary.
Tire science is surrounded by half-truths and legend. If one but "follows the money", they will clearly see the tire industry is fiercely competitive...and the gaining of sales contracts is the life-blood of this industry. So ... given these parameters, can we safely say the industry does not want to endorse the raising of cold pressures ... which will increase the life of the tire ( as well as improve handling and traction)? After all, replacement tires fuel the industry.
And who is gambling with their life for the sake of a gallon of fuel? I thought you just stated there was no measurable improvement in MPG? Now you're talking "a voilent end-swapper" if you change the pressures. This is fear tactics....
The truth is : traction is improved markedly with a small (reasonable) increase in tire pressure, firming the foundation carcass rubber ( reducing tread squirm). Reducing tread squirm cools the rubber and lengthens tread life.
Cars which "break loose" at the front first (understeer) are more forgiving...mushy... and cars which "break loose" at the rear ( oversteer) need to be "steered" with the counter-steer / throttle / hand brake. With the majority of drivers on the road being virtual idiots under either condition...does it really matter about tire pressure bias? "They" lock 'em & hang on!
I'll stop now. Have a nice day.... -Ted Hart / ex-IMSA / Z twist, S twist

Last edited by whitevette; 08-11-2008 at 09:00 PM..