View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #100 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,180 Times in 808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Huh? That accident was driver error - he was watching a movie, or something.

There have only been a couple of deaths in a Tesla. The crash testing was five stars plus - nearly perfect. It can hardly be rolled over - the Cg is ~16" off the ground. The roof BROKE the roof strength testing jig.

I'll take lithium over gasoline ANY DAY. Gasoline is VERY explosive. When we get solid state batteries, they will be even better.

The Tesla Model S has the highest crash test score of any car, ever.
Wear your seatbelt, don't text, don't drink, don't speed, and drive any new car costing 50K or more and you have about a zero percent chance of dying in a car crash. The Tesla almost encourages distracted driving which is the #1 cause even beating out drinking and driving now. So the car supposedly will take care of the distracted part but does it beat not being distracted at all because you know you need to be paying attention? We will see when millions of people are doing it rather then the few brave Beta testers.

Take my $3000 2003 Forester for example. Today while going 70mph down a backwoods Montana highway I saw a buck at full trot coming on an intercept vector to the front of my car from an open field on the side. I knew to start braking now, long before that buck was potentially coming through my window. Does the Tesla know what a suicidal deer looks like way off the side of the road? How does it tell that from a cow standing out there or does it jam on the brakes when a cow is walking 40 yards off the road? The old Subie and my brain combined to come to a stop just as the deer passed in front. Had I waited until the deer was obviously in my path, not going to be in my path, it would have been bad.

Last edited by Hersbird; 11-15-2016 at 11:00 PM..