View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
stiletto2
EcoModding Lurker

Only since you asked... It's not for everybody, but...

Something I do is use car tires on my scooters. But it might be hard to find the better suited size tire here in the US. A 165/65R14 would be just a couple mm taller than a stock scooter tire and 15 mm wider. This size is readily available in the US. A 155/80R14 would be harder to get and you'd probably have to get one shipped from Europe. (England) But it would have a better profile (slightly more rounded shoulder than a 165/65R14) but it would have about 3/4" more to the radius; so about 1.5" taller overall than a stock scooter tire. Might be iffy fitting it onto the bike or if it fit, then shock preload might need to be stiffened to help prevent tire rubbing on the underside when hitting bumps in the road.
As a bonus, a car tire would last 4 to 6 times as long as a scooter rear tire. (only use a car tire on the rear)

If you are at all curious or are interested in the idea, then you might read an item I did for another forum. It's a bit long, but it is about all I know about using a car tire on a scooter.
For Maxi-Scooters The DarkSide (according to bandito2) Part 1 & 2

BTW, there are several scooter forums to draw help from if you ever need it. (and you can find out more about some of the bigger scooters too.)
If you haven't seen what else can be done to a scooter to improve economy, check this out:
Index to the making of the Last Vetter Fairing

Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
The Following User Says Thank You to stiletto2 For This Useful Post:
3dplane (11-16-2016)