View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #56 (permalink)
Tugger
EcoModding Lurker

It's a simple way to develop technically competent models.

And yeah, been on and off this forum for years...

And no - didn't read up on anything else, from this site.

Was researching something - and came across a link to this topic and shared my expertise on the subject.

And it's an odd thing that when coming home with a big load on the motorbike, into a cross / head wind, where I am forced by circumstance, to ride through the wakes of the passing vehicles.

And the wakes of aerodynamically messy vehicles, ARE remarkably different, to very low COD vehicles....

I am not a car fan per sae, but aerodynamically speaking, I really like the shape of this carriage.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-12-28)_02.jpg

When getting passed by an aerodynamically messy vehicle, you and the bike are getting pushed from the "bow wave", pushed sideways from the compressed air envelope, and sucked back in behind the vehicle as it pulls ahead....

The bow wave, is the "slug of air" being pushed off the front of the vehicle, the "suck in ' suck along" effect along the side of the vehicle, is the vortices and turbulent air flow, behind the bow wave, and the suck in after the vehicle, is the huge zone of negative pressure behind the vehicle....

You can see it in theses ship driver training videos - but when your on a motorbike - you can feel it - in the air.

Where as the low COD vehicles slide cleanly through the air, and hardly creates any disturbance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-2000_Ford_Fairmont_(AU)_sedan_(2008-12-28)_0212rs.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	20940