View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Katana
Interested Newbie

Silver Citroen Saxo - '02 Citroen Saxo 1.4i Furio
Hi from england - Citroen AX 1.0i

I've already posted in some other threads on here but someone said i should post on here with some details and pics of my car. The car is stock with no mods.

Here is a general shot of the car.

Big one of the front end without a registration plate on.
One wiper and a partial grille block as standard and thin tires, which i only go a couple of psi over the placard says, mainly for safe handling in wet conditions.

The back end of the car, the boot lid is made from fibreglass. That black lock also twists and opens the boot, no handle.

Side on view, recessed door handles, wheel trims have minimal holes needed for brake cooling. Car looks like it sits high but it really doesn't, it's just perched like that for a soft ride, so the suspension travel is fairly long which is useful with all the speed bumps.

Just give you an idea of the effect of hiding the door handles has on the look.

This is the handle on the door, tiny little thing and slightly annoying if you happen to be carrying something.

Now for a couple of pics of the interior.
Here is the view from the drivers perception. Basic warning lights, no rev counter here, just a clock on the base model. The tank is 43 litres and i've done 187 miles from full with gauge where it is hovering above half. Just passed the 70k mile mark as well

Centre console and the gearstick. pretty basic as you can see. 4 gears, could really use 5 for high speed though. ciggy lighter and ashtray, and that isn't air con, it's a heat transfer radiator system from the engine, so the heat only works if the engine is hot.

Copied from my garage.
Small French supermini designed to be light and have a decent Cd with good mpg. As a result some of the panels are made from plastic or fibreglass and the rest is thin steel. Bumpers are plastic and the boot lid (trunk for Americans I think) is fibreglass.

My one, the most basic AX in the range, has 4 speed gearbox, but really needs that fifth gear as it's rather loud in fourth if you are on a dual carriageway/motorway where the speed limit is 70MPH.
No power steering, no power brakes, wind down windows, no rev counter (there is a clock in it's place), no real A/C, it's one of those jobs where the heat from the engine is run through a radiator/fan job in the cabin which is annoying in winter because the heat doesn't come through until the engine is hot.

The mileage is listed as 50MPG (british gallons) which can be done easily, i've gotten 55 out of it before, but 45 is more common from traffic in this area.

Overall is has it's good and bad points.
The car is very comfortable to drive and be in, has soft suspension like most French cars, and the seats are good as well. Parts in easy supply since it's a cheap and common car, i paid £700 ($1400) for mine 3 years ago, but you can get them for £200 ($400) upwards. It's a nippy car if you aren't afraid to rev it, or you can just potter around in 4th gear, which can be used from 20mph to it's top speed (95-100mph).

It's a bit of flimsy car though, not very safe in a accident i imagine because of how it's made. I ran into a wall a 5mph once (bad day, hit the clutch instead of the brake) and the damn electrics caught fire, bent the bonnet (hood) brackets, mashed the grill, and half destroyed the bumper mounts. Lucky it wasn't a write off. Lack of power steering is annoying when parking or doing maneuvers. No fifth gear, though better models do have one.

Would make a good ecomod car for someone with money and place to do it, unlike me. Hope this has been informative post.