View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #46 (permalink)
LittleBlackDuck
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Okay, lets do some more testing!

I don't have a blow dryer. The only thing I have is a box fan. I put the fan on max and put the block in front of it (actually off center of the fan where it throws off the most air). While it was running its 'sweep' program. It actuated just fine. It didn't even appear to be struggling at all. So, I decided to hook up the ammeter to the circuit again. This time instead of reading 60mA most of the time and occasionally 70mA, it jumped between the two a lot more. So, it was definitely drawing a bit more power.

Then, just for kicks, I set the grill block face down on the desk. As it opened up, it lifts the entire assembly and lets it back down. While doing this, the ammeter peaked at 90mA, with the normal draw being lower than that.

Finally, I put a normal pliers on top of the assembly (weight of almost a half pound). While the servo struggled to lift it, it did in fact lift it. While doing so, amperage peaked at 260mA. While these tests are in no way a direct correlation to how it will be used in its actual application, I think it shows that the servo is not as wimpy as we originally thought. So, while I am still guessing, I am pretty confident the servo will work fine on the road. The paperclip push rod also held up admirably.

Don't forget that these servos are designed for model planes that fly quite fast and have large aerodynamic forces on the control surfaces. They still move very quickly in that use case.

I reckon that you should file the outside of the door slightly to get the fit better and let it rip!

Simon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBlackDuck For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-08-2017), MetroMPG (11-22-2016)