View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I always appreciate your input. Seriously. But less seriously, sometimes the requirement is for something that would tow behind a 1952 Hudson Hornet with a Tesla drive train and look right. Those are the people with lucky problems.

My own 35' R-license park model (Mobile Industrial, Santa Fe Springs, CA 1962) has been on the country tax rolls for decades, but I have a set of axles with electric brakes to replace the original hydraulic brakes — so anything is possible.

I could perch a Tesla Powerwall on the hitch where the propane tank used to be and still be well under $10K invested.

When I do the subfloor repairs I want to use truck van swing-door material. It's an aluminum skinned plywood. So it would be all plywood except skinned under the plumbing.
You may have already read the threads on AIR on using surplus Boeing honeycomb flooring. Curious about your choice (sounds good), maybe you'll start a daydream kind of thread on this trailer.

At this point I don't see anything which recommends any Tesla product. AM Solar is the place to start for portable power, IMO. "Lewster" on AIR is your friend, here.

As to axles, Dexter Torsion Flex such that the wheel face is congruent with the trailer walls is greatest stability. Huge leap from leaf. Come with complete
Brake assemblies. Dealer can consult on "starting angle" for 16" wheels with LT tires.

My real concern would be A-frame. Length and strength thereof. Past that, frame rot. Galvanic corrosion.

Would greatly enjoy any thread on that trailer if you started one herecor elsewhere. There's a thread on AIR with pics which indicates your trailer is actually an Airstream. See "Southern Pacific".

Last edited by slowmover; 11-22-2016 at 03:16 PM..