View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
JJW
EcoModding Lurker

The Crimson Jellybean - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

White's Elephant (in Black) - '02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Cab slant

I just wanted to point out that when we were making it I designed it with about a 5 to 10 degree forward slant at the front, and the rearmost bulkhead perpendicular to the plane of the bed. A bit of shortsightedness on my part resulted in the rear bulkhead leaning back, so now both ends "splay" out a few degrees each, and the front gap grows toward the top. The "stringers" are actually stressed members in the design and the whole thing "corrected" itself.

The other secret is that we tried a slightly different method of "glassing".. The secret being there is no glass involved. The substrate for the resin is some hefty hemp burlap backed sail cloth we found cheap at a local fabric supply shop. I bound two 54" pieces to make up the width and upholstered the cap like a piece of furniture.. Then Twerp and I applied the resin to both sides (He did about twice as much of that than I did). I haven't had a chance to see it since the second such application, but the first made it fairly stiff and certainly strong enough for the task. I was concerned about weight but the two of us can still move it fairly easily.