View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #58 (permalink)
123gts
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
E85 is politics at its best , hydrous is illegal at the pump because it isn't denatured.

Cold start issues are due to poor engineering, glow plugs or ether start solves it the same way it does on diesel.

Pure water can be mixed into diesel or gasoline.
The process to do it is called emulsification, ultrasonic or surfactants can easily mix hydrous into gasoline. Depending on the surfactant the mix can stay that way many months.

Emulsified diesel is already a commercial product said to reduce emissions and reduce fuel consumption.

Lack of will is why we setup a wasteful ethanol system.
Starting with the feedstock
Moving to the high energy fermentation process (the old slow way uses no energy)
Ending with an inability to admit hydrous is superior to e85 and could have all issues cheaply addressed (ether start is what a $25 option?)
Politics, oil industry and money is why E85 as a automotive fuel is dead for the most part in the USA. I have real world experience with Ethanol far beyond just putting it in my gas tank. I worked with a co-op trying to make ethanol. Bad PR made most Americans not want ethanol. When we said our cars run on alcohol people where interested but as soon as you say ethanol people say I heard about that garbage NOOOO THANKS!!!!!

rmay I agree there are lots of problems with how ethanol is made in the USA it starts with over production of corn and corn subsidies.

Yes hydrous is illegal at the pump because it isn't denatured. you can add things like methanol to hydrous ethanol to make it denatured. If you take ethanol after it has been distilled and try to mix it with gas it will not mix.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr Brazil is doing things right when it comes to ethanol. As for an auxiliary cold-start gasoline tank yes that works great but to many stupid/lazy Americans will cause problems. Also in this country many major companies will spend ZER0 $$$$ On R&D or implementing the fixes unless they have to, even if the consumer wants it.

Enki I was not overthinking cold start issues and I think most people on here where talking about E85 in a 100% stock car and non flex fuel . If a car is setup to run on E85 it will work fine in cold weather. Also if you bought the E85 during the winter its most likely not E85 a lot of places switch to something like E70 to help with cold starting. Also as for your engine build I would like to know real world data on it. I have read a lot about doing what your doing but have not seen much real world data and not just lab results. How much more power then stock will the engine make and after you have the numbers would love to know Stock MPG vs your E85 build MPG.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123gts For This Useful Post:
Enki (12-04-2016), rmay635703 (12-04-2016)