View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
Enki
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123gts View Post
Enki I was not overthinking cold start issues and I think most people on here where talking about E85 in a 100% stock car and non flex fuel . If a car is setup to run on E85 it will work fine in cold weather. Also if you bought the E85 during the winter its most likely not E85 a lot of places switch to something like E70 to help with cold starting. Also as for your engine build I would like to know real world data on it. I have read a lot about doing what your doing but have not seen much real world data and not just lab results. How much more power then stock will the engine make and after you have the numbers would love to know Stock MPG vs your E85 build MPG.
My car isn't flex fuel and although I had to modify the fuel pump to run E85, that's a scenario unique to my particular platform. I was able to get better than stock MPG out of a 50/50 mix (which for me is ~E48 since I still have E88 locally); I was getting about 400 miles to the tank on that mix with adjustments to tune only and conservative driving (which for my car is the hard part):

It's more than I ever got on pump gas and completely stock, that's for sure. Beating the hell out of it like normal with a larger turbo and methanol injection as supplemental fuel (~2 gallons per tank used) I was getting about 200 miles to the tank.

Fret not though, as MPG tuning and analysis will be no small part of my build; currently I estimate that 30 MPG on the highway should be doable with very minor changes to the tune, if any, and that will be on E88 as the fuel.