View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Found an Explorer, have questions, etc.

General: anyone know a bunch about 2nd Gen Ford Explorers? I found a 2000 with OHV V-6 (not the SOHC one with the timing chain guide issues) with a 5-speed that is only barely starting to rust on the body underneath. 149K miles, drives well with one exception: it "dances" when going over bumps/expansion joints, etc. Very similar to my 1999 Prizm with blown struts, in fact. It has the inner edge of the driver's front tire worn down to exposed metal belts, too. Looking for experience with these sorts of issues. According to Ford Fleet literature, they were available with a bench seat for 6-person occupancy, but I'll need to find the unobtanium 60/40 front bench or dig one out of a Ranger and adapt it to fit. The stock buckets are really narrow - narrower than the ones in my Prizm.

The 1996 Cherokee I actually went to look at was too rusty, so I test drove that Explorer, and was impressed.

roosterk0031:
Quote:
Thought about a Montero or Montero Sport, can be had pretty cheap, some Montero had 3rd row, and limited generally get rear LSD. All V6's have timing belts.

The Montero's in particular seem to age pretty well.

2002 Mitsubishi Montero-7 Passenger,4wd,V6,Cloth,1 Owner,Nice suv

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD
Unfortunately, only the 1995 meets my crash specs. Interior looks amenable, though. On the list. BTW, don't need a 3rd row. Won't turn one down if it has it, but that's not a deciding factor.

Quote:
S-10 Blazer if you can find a nice treaded one had low range right up till the end I think, parts are easy to come by, ok mpg and easy to work on.
The Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada line only had 1 good year as well - 1998. On the list.

It seems the early years of adding airbags to SUV's/pickups was pretty "hit and miss" in terms of crash safety.

pete c:
Quote:
How about an old CRV? Good mileage, reliable. No bench seat though.
If they were available with low-range, sure. I'll want to go 'wheeling before I can afford an EV conversion, though, so without low-range, it's a no-go.

freebeard:
Quote:
I just found the thread.

Vanagon Westfalia Synco — $4000
with an EV conversion — $40K
Pricey. :-/

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr:
Quote:
Not sure if a Vanagon would qualify as crashworthy anyways...
Yes, that is an issue - they don't. :-/

Quote:
About "small" 4WD rides with a front bench seat, what about a 2nd-generation Chevy Blazer? Even though I have never seen one with a bench seat, drop the one out of an S-10 and call it a day. If you prefer a 'Yota, I'm not sure about the newer ones but eventually you can get the seats of a Hilux truck which had some versions that, even though not fitted with a real bench seat, could accomodate 2 (rather skinny) passengers beside the driver.
The 1999-up 4Runner is an option, but they have a frame that is more likely to rust than other trucks (not quite to the point of a recall, but nearly as bad as those that were) and we salt heavily up here, so undamaged ones are difficult to find without spending $$$$.

freebeard:
Quote:
They're rear-engined, so you go off the road backwards. That's much safer.

But in addition to the bench seat, you have a 'rock-and-roll' bed in the back. And the possibility of Subaru or electric power-trains.
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr:
Quote:
The rear-engined rear-wheel drive layout actually makes them quite off-road capable even in 2WD. Gotta love those sandrails and Baja Bugs
freebeard and cRiPpLe_rOoStEr, while I do admire the old VW's, I still have settled on 4wd with low-range and minimum 4*/4* crash rating. Around here, the 'wheeling will be mud to plow through, rocks to crawl over/climb when it is beyond "rutted dirt road". Then there's the daily driving on winter-mix covered roads, where RWD without traction control isn't something I want to try to get used to, really. A lockable 2WD might do the off-road stuff, but without low-range I'll be smoking a clutch or frying an auto and probably still need the winch/strap more often than not on the stuff I used to do.

Thanks, all! Still getting great info here.