View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 04:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
primafish
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
Hello I live in dallas, and I can answer any question you have about owning a vehicle here.

The first question is where will you work and where do you plan to live. if you are going to actually work in down town dallas you probably won't need a car, however living inside of downtown is very expensive and you will need to travel by taxi or Uber to really experience being in the united states

Cars here do not suffer from any body rot at all. We typically have 2 months of slight winter and do not have more than 2-3 days under freezing temperatures in a year. If we do experience snow it melts entirely in under 24-36 hours.

Vehicle ownership is not complicated. You will purchase a car and be given a title and have the seller fill out a "texas title transfer form" which can be found on google.

Once you are in possession of the vehicle you must have the vehicle insured which typically costs anywhere from $40 a month up to $80 a month

If you take out a loan to purchase a vehicle the loan provider will require you to carry comprehensive full coverage insurance which depending on the vehicle can be at least $80 a month

Minimum coverage vehicle insurance is called liability insurance and is typically carried on vehicles with low value. Texas is considered an at fault state, if you carry the minimum liability insurance and you hit another vehicle your insurance will pay to fix the other motorist car, and not your own. If the opposite happens of course the other persons insurance will fix your car. If you are involved in a serious accident you want to be sure to call the local police to file a police report to submit to your insurance.

Alright so you bought your car, you have the title and now you have insurance. You bring your title, insurance and drivers license to the county tax assessors office and register and title the vehicle in your name. To register the vehicle to drive in Texas it is an $80 fee and the car must also first pass A basic inspection test which is done at most gas stations for $20. They make sure the vehicle has brakes headlights, wipers and good tires and no check engine lights.

So to conclude
let's say you purchase a $1500 car here in texas. You would then need insurance on the vehicle which will cost $40 per month (make sure you ask for unsured motorist coverage) the vehicle would then need to pass the state inspection ($20) and theN need to be registered and titled. Registration is the state tax, and you will also pay a 6% sales tax at that time to title the vehicle in your name.

If you need more help or insight let me know. I'm not sure what vehicle you are considering importing but it's probably not worth the hassle Unless it is a classic Japanese honda. Other than specific tuner vehicles there will be no resale market for a European vehicle (but if you can import me a 1992-1999 civic hatchback we can talk )

If you are buying a vehicle here stay away from Volkswagen. Designed by Germans and made in Mexico they are notoriously unreliable reliable and expensive to maintain

Lastly I really wouldn't buy a Mitsubishi mirage. Id probably have a hard time talking myself into it if you tried to give me one for free. Dallas is surrounded by highways and the mirage is an under powered tin can in the big city. Everyone drives full size pick ups and suvs here. Calling a mirage a car is like calling your moped a motorcycle
Posted speed limit on Texas freeways is 70mph

Cheers
-ben
very details, thanks for your knowledge