View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #40 (permalink)
CappAttack
EcoModding Lurker

Update: I replaced the diff fluid, used Walmart brand 75-90 gear oil. No change in how it runs since the swap. Installed a diy ccv filter, made it out of an agricultural strainer and a steel will scrubbing pad to catch condensation. After about 1k miles I've gotten about 1 cup of water mixed with a bit of oil, I check it every couple of weeks and empty as needed. no change in performance or mpg noted after this was installed.

Recently I have been chasing a leak that is letting rainwater into the front passenger side footwell. Never a visible puddle, but it's enough to soak the carpet anytime we get a moderate to heavy rain storm. I have removed the glove box, and the headliner and narrowed it down to a combo of the sunroof drains and the pollen filter door. The water runs from the base of the A pillar down around the blower motor and falls to the floor just behind where the glove box normally sits (it's in the trunk right now).

Ordered a deep belt tensioner arm and pully to go with the enhanced+ timing belt kit I am getting from blauparts.

Timing belt kit: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....od=GH21120-1-C
Serp belt tensioner: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GJ12613-C

I have also ordered a filter, gasket, and fluid for the transmission. Gonna drop the pan and change fluid/filter when that gets here. I opted to go with OEM VW g52 fluid. Still scared by what I might find but I have, somehow, found confidence in changing the diff fluid and not having it explode.

Also replaced the seals on my injector pump, it doesn't leak anymore! Still have flashing glow plug light but I've read that can be caused by having led brake/tail lights, which I do have.

And finally, I ordered an OBDeleven device, base model. Its a well rated, and seemingly well received alternative to vcds(vag-com). Instead of running on a laptop it is a Bluetooth obd-II dongle that pairs with their Android app.
Android 4.1 or later, no iOS app available. OBDeleven: Audi, Volkswagen, Seat & Skoda diagnostic system

Regards,
Andrew