View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Welcome to Ecomodder.
Quote:
I'm saving up to start converting a rear engine school bus into a full-time RV. We plan to do quite a bit of highway travelling...
What else you got? Bluebird pusher, or what? National campgrounds or art fairs? Number of people X number of days? First thing I would do is put it on a scale and confirm that '25,000+ lbs [12 1/2 tons] of steel'. For issues of wheel alignment or sizing water tanks seek out a member named slowmover.

On a vehicle that size, I'd want a chipper/shredder/alchol still for fuel and a 'cherry picker' for extravehicluar activities or to hold up a tent. Skylights and solar panels?

Rather than the external taper that is popular here, look to the annular ring and wheel well treatment on Dr. Morelli's urban car. You have a very favorable fineness ratio — 5:1 in plan and 4:1 in elevation! There is enough length for reattachment so you have clean air into whatever you choose to do in the rear. Also search for Mair and Englar.

Also, commercial box vans will be getting plasma actuators. A ring at the back at least but any edge or wheelwell is a candidate.

Your vehicle could benefit from many of these techniques from trucking:

Note the passive porosity in lower left.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-11-2016)