View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
dalez
EcoModding Lurker

SanteFe - '02 Hyundai SanteFe
The bus for this project hasnt been purchased yet. I'm currently in an '84 International Amtram 35 footer, but with the new lady looking to move in next year it's gonna get tighter. Looking to get into national parks and various fairs and festivals, fulltiming in it.

Sloping the roof: I was planning to likely have to raise the roof of the new bus at least a foot, as most buses are too short for my 6'1" head to fit under, and I will be adding insulation. But to add a slope, I've never seen that done on the skoolie forums. At first glance, that looks exceedingly difficult to pull off. And I want to cover the entire roof in solar panels with a "raise and tilt" mechanism, which would be harder with a sloped roof. I do plan to have fairings around the panels when in the stowed position.

Plasma actuators?!?! Looks a bit far into the future, and having actually built HV "plasma" brown-effect lifter/fliers before, I can tell you the power consumption to move a small amount of air is pretty high. It took 25,000 volts at several watts to lift less than 3 grams.

Weight: My current 35ft bus completely stripped down was estimated at 16-18,000lbs. Its gvwr is 32k. I havent put it to a scale yet, but these are typical numbers for this size bus. I have plenty of reason to expect Bus 2.0 to be up to 25k given it's longer length and all amenities fully installed, including a massive 48v battery bank and hundreds of gallons of water for long term boondocking.

Occupancy time: 2-3 people, "as long as possible" I'm seriously considering an incinerating toilet running on the solar to eliminate the blackwater tank to make more room for gray and fresh water for example.

Got a link to the Morelli car? Google isnt being forthcoming for me today.

Chipper/shredder still? Wouldnt that be alcohol fuel? I dont think my diesel engine will like that much.