View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
My 19ft Cortez weighed 7000lb. I compared to twice that, but the Cortez was the 'sports car' of motorhomes and didn't have a battery bank.

I wouldn't slope the roof, except for maybe the last 5-10ft. Instead of messing with the roof, I'd add one foot through the side window area and over the top of the windshield.

Forum member PranayBajjuri only posted twice but he said:
Quote:
Power needed is very low. Our preliminary testing shows an average power consumption of 1 watt for 1 meter long actuator .
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post511046

It's not trying to lift the vehicle, it's an ionic wind — fast moving ionized molecules drag adjacent air along with them.

I defer to slowmover on extended occupancy (we both live in our 35ft trailers, but mine is up on blocks and skirted), but instead of an incinerator, consider a 55-gallon drum batch composting system that swaps out through an external hatch.

The chipper/shredder/still was a fantasy I had about parking a conventional cab bus on BLM land and cooking down wood slash. It would have had the chipper at the front bumper running off the engine with the chip blown through a 4" pipe into a bin on the rear roof. The (18" dia., 7ft tall) still would be in the left rear corner with the composting toilet in the right rear and a new rear wall 5ft ahead of the original rear door.

What do you think of using a cherry picker as a tent pole. If it would reach 12ft to the side you could have a 24ft diameter 'big top' tent with a ring of wall poles.

Morelli:

Quote:
In 1999 Morelli & Di Giusto modified a Fiat Punto, adding a Kammback and blower-type rear wheels, calling it the Fluid Tail:

Images of MetroMPG, Basjoos and others come to mind. The duct tape is familiar to all of us. Note that their Kammback has a clear plastic partial end cap. Don’t ask me how they opened the hatch, though.
The rear wheel rims were designed as radial blower fans, pumping air into the area behind the wheel, acting as a sort of air-pillow wheel fairing, as I understand it. Note also the Audi A2-like wheel well bulge (what for?).
Here’s their patent text: An improvement to devices for reducing drag in vehicles - Politecnico Di, Torino Dipartimento Di Energetica .

More tail modifications:

Compared to the standard blunt end (a), adding what they call attikas (fascias or parapets; flat, parallel panels) (b) delays separation and moves the tail vortices back (reduces Cd by up to 10%); these can be set inward (c), further reducing the size of the „dead zone“ (reduces Cd by 0.06, which is about half as good as the ideal tapered tail); the open-ended Kammback made of flat panels (d); and „Fluid Tail" (e).
Before you go out and get a bus, watch the castle truck video:

He started with a flatbed truck with 8ft ram jacks at all four corners, and added pop-outs, slide outs and swing-outs. The cherry on top is the fruit drying rack in the 2nd floor ceiling.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-11-2016)