View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
tvbd56
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
That kind of limits you.

A larger air dam MAY help, but the problem is you wouldn't know for sure without testing. It helped my Metro, actually hurt my Prius. Big A$# air dam really helps a Miata - but it's all about the starting point, right?

Of course driving style is going to have the biggest impact. Take it easy and stick to the right lane.

Question: have you done the math? Is it worth the time/effort to you for 5k miles worth?

Let's say she's used to getting 33 mpg on freeway trips (it's rated at 29). Over 5000 miles, that's 143 gallons * $2.10 / gal = $318.

Let's also guesstimate the handful of mods you listed are good for 5-10% better MPG. Average it to 7.5% * $318 = $24 in savings.

If I had time, I'd do it just for the fun/principle. But don't spend a lot of money on materials!

Of course the biggest factor is speed. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...you-15182.html
Thank you!
I have some coroplast on hand so I'd probably do a lower grille block at the least.
I did the math for the cost in gasoline @ 30MPG and $2.5/gal = $417 (conservative figure) but I didn't do the calc for the materials which if I'm buying materials that probably won't be worth it.

With materials I have all i could really do is upper/lower grille block, small air dam (taking off of other vehicle or an old air dam off a cruze), and maybe some small side skirts.

I'm just going to have to keep her speed down. She want's a short driving time, I want a mix of time and cost.