View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
dalez
EcoModding Lurker

SanteFe - '02 Hyundai SanteFe
Yes, it's heavy. Compared to a stick and staple RV, it's also virtually indestructable. This isnt just for vacations, this is my HOUSE. I live in my '84 International right now, and it gets 8.2MPG foot on the floor at 60mph, which is actually better than many smaller gas RVs.

As far as expense, this is why I'm picky about my engine and transmission choices. My '84 has an international straight six DT466 mechanical turbodiesel. Extremely common, parts arent insanely expensive, and very reliable. The transmission is a MT643 which is rated for vehicles up to 80,000+ lbs, also virtually indestructable. I can work on this bus myself. I intend on getting a similar drivetrain in my RE bus.

Why would I do aero? Personal mission. :P I'm going to be doing alot of body work anyways, with the roof raise and window delete. I will be building tons of storage underneath, might as well make it smooth. I've heard rumor of people getting these buses into double digit economy with gear changes and careful driving, I'd like to see just how far into double digits I can get. There's a huge difference between 8 and 12 mpg when you go cross country.