Thread: Hi, I'm Scott.
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I tend to think of myself more as a commuting cyclist, but winter always finds me driving more to get to work and other places
A friend of mine who died last year used to commute by bicycle, but the city where he was living didn't have such an extreme weather in the winter.

Quote:
That car, by the way, is a 1996 Subaru Outback. When I picked it out in 2007, I wanted something with AWD and ground clearance for snow, a manual transmission, and a reliable engine (EJ22). I'm pleased to say that while some of the accessories no longer work, it's still a solid car.
What accessories are not working? Is there any feature that you would be OK getting rid of for the sake of weight reduction? Anyway, since you use it mostly in bad weather, fitting it with LED lighting all around would be useful to decrease the electric load and allowing you to eventually run the alternator with an underdrive pulley to decrease its drag. I'm just not sure if a smaller battery would be so suitable due to the cold-starting routine.