View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 03:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
RAV4 EV
Tesla Inside

Woah, chopping off part of the top is way out of my abilities. I sort of like the extra space inside... sort of why I replaced my Nissan leaf + a little extra range.

Dual motors refers to how the Tesla Model S has one electric motor for the front wheels and one electric motor for the rear wheels. There is a video online talking about how both motors are more efficient than one and overcome the extra wight of the motor. If you go to the Tesla builder site for the model S choosing dual motors increases the range by a little bit. So I was more joking in that having the same set up with the rav4 ev would be nice. It only is FWD.

The rav4 ev has a belly pan but I"m not sure how complete it is, but there is one. I believe the rav4 ev already has wheel well spats they are just kind of hard to see in the picture above. The video I linked should talk about them but here is a different shot. At least I think they are wheel well spats not sure how complete they are:

I've seen the K-form (Kamm/Koenig-Fachsenfeld) before and would love to follow the design!

Electric motor 115 kW (154 hp), 296 N·m (220 ft·lb)
Battery 41.8 kW·h lithium ion battery
Range 103 mi (166 km) (EPA rated)

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/34425.shtml

76 combined city/highway MPGe
City MPG:78
Highway MPG:74

44 kWh/100 miles

The RAV4 EV has two charge modes: Standard and Extended. In standard mode, the high voltage battery charges only up to 35 kWh and Toyota expected the electric SUV to achieve an EPA driving range rating of 92 mi (148 km) for this charging mode. Extended mode allows the battery to charge to its full usable capacity of 41.8 kWh, providing an expected EPA driving range of 113 mi (182 km) according to Toyota estimates. The EPA rated just one range of 103 mi (166 km).

I have read about individuals who hyper mile with out any aero mods and have reached as high as 150 miles in ideal conditions. I am wondering what type of millage increase could be expected by adding a full boat tail + front and rear skirts? Probably also doing a partial grill block of some sort? For example what type of millage increase could be estimated by lowering the cd to sub 0.15 if it is starting at 0.31?