View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #144 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
Can you add a bigger cable between negative shunt and negative pack to see if it changes the reading? Or is something else easier .. like adding another shunt in series on the negative side (like maybe 1000A 50mv). That should give you an extra 48 mv offset and show much lower or higher current on the link 10
While it won't give me a 48mv offset, if I put a second, equal shunt in series and have the meter read across both of them, it should give me twice the voltage drop, thus should show twice the amperage as is actually passing through. It should have little effect otherwise, but it will at least tell me if it's going to throw off the meter even more with twice as much current reading. IE me 77 amps should now show as 144. Will it show 126/188 amps, or will it show even farther off?

Simply swapping shunts for one with a completely different range - like 100amps - will have the same effect and probably avoid potential voltage drops from weak connections, which might end up with more than the 50mv being sent to the Link 10. I'll be very careful whatever I do before letting anything pass to the Link 10.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll give them a try.