View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #124 (permalink)
ohmman
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Going to be extra short trips. Constant travel interruptions.

Need for AC in tow vehicle will make depletion rate murderous.
A couple in a Tesla Model X towing a 22' Airstream sport were able to make approximately 125-150 miles per charge with the AC running. I don't know what murderous is to you - people have different tolerances for driving time. For me, two hours of driving and it's time for a break. This put them just over two hours total before they had to stop. Charge times at the Superchargers were longer than without the trailer because they generally charged to 100%, which took them into the tapering curve (slowest part of charging). But most times, they charged at the RV park. That takes no additional time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
There's a Tesla thread on AIR (Airforums) and for the life of me I fail to see the appeal of a hamstrung tow vehicle.

Given that the average RV'er travels but 25k miles in five years it isn't cost prohibitive to own a dedicated TV. I'm not in favor of such but I could see where with an EV as daily driver it could make sense. 25-mpg plus is possible with a 20-23' AS trailer. And that change in size brings a great deal of utility.
Yes, I've seen you over there and I appreciate your valuable feedback.

The appeal is, as I mentioned in another thread here, usually a self-constraint. I don't drive an ICE, and don't plan to do so again. Would it be easier and more comfortable to have an ICE TV? You bet, nobody could argue otherwise. Not speaking for evtower, but for me there is some appeal in the pioneering aspect of it. I've taken tens of thousands of miles of road trips in an EV very comfortably. These days it's as easy as it was in my ICE. I am hopeful that providing towing data to Tesla or the community at large will be useful to push the needle a tiny bit.

I feel confident there will be a day that people will choose an EV to tow solely because it's the better TV. The power and torque is ideal, it's all about range right now. I'm happy to give it a try and be patient. A few people have to pave the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohmman For This Useful Post:
slowmover (12-16-2016)