Thread: New Guy
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 03:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
daniel831
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
You are a lucky dog!
Make sure you change the timing belt and water pump if you haven't already. That engine is a marvel of it's time and you don't want it to experience a sudden death because of neglect. If you are fairly good with turning wrenches, you should be able to do the job, but it will take a good day to do it if it's your first time. Also, use a torque wrench and tighten to specs. Use synthetic oil...the stuff is amazingly better than conventional oil. I bought my 92 VX 14 years ago and will never get rid of it. I'm 48 years old and tell my kids I'll be driving it around in my 80's.
Hey Magician, Thanks for the reply. As for the Tbelt and water pump I have no service history on the car and was planning on pulling the cover and checking it out sometime soon. I wrench for a living but I get so burn't out on it by the end of the day that it's hard to find the time and energy to fix my own junk. Thankfully it's not making any of those troublesome noises such as the Santa Fe and Galant I did last week which were both so bad that they sounded like chainsaws, ~200k miles with no 60k services done, timing belts slapping the covers and multiple teeth off.

As for the oil I was considering running 5w20 as I have a huge stash leftover from my old accord and honda backspecced it for 6th gen civics.

Really excited about this car. Gonna pay off some major bill's by selling my Prius and Denali. Hope to achieve Prius like MPG and still make it up to the snow only with a 10 minute chain delay.