View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Seals = potential leaks. Not saying it can't be done, with tongue and groove or O-ring seals. But lapped or guttered seams, or post-tensioning would be my preference. A detail cross-section would tell the story.
I was thinking about those silicone-based glues used by plumbers and some mechanics due to their resistence to moisture and extreme temperatures.

Quote:
Colonials prolly didn't use softwood veneer for flooring. More likely hardwood planks. I know raw veneer is a euro-scandinavian thing. Back in the 50s in the PNW they made veneer from old growth timber with really nice graining and then sand-blasted it to give a nice 3D texture.
At least in the 3 southernmost Brazilian states some native woods such as Araucaria were used, but that's not an easy option anymore.

Quote:
Hemp is an annual crop so production can ramp up quickly once the artificial constraints are removed.
I'm not so unfavorable to industrial uses of hemp-derived products, or even medicinal applications. A few friends of mine actually engage in "recreational" use of marijuana, but I have some objections to it.