View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #85 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Woo, thanks for all the replies guys! I guess its time to start answering them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecrazy View Post
Very interesting project! I have a constructive (pun intended) comment.

If the louver is made up of three pieces, why would you need the slots and retaining clips in the frame? Couldn't you simply design a frame with two holes that fit the louver pins? Once each end was in place, you could simply connect the centerpiece of the louver to the two ends and you would have a much stronger (and simpler) solution.

Hope this helps, and I will watch for versions that fit my 2010 Hybrid Milan and 2006 Hybrid Highlander! ;-)
You're quite right. I could do that. However, the one additional piece of making the clips makes assembly a lot easier. Snapping the blade together requires you slide them together length wise, not something easily done if the frame is already assembled. You could do it before the frame is assembled, and then assemble the frame around the blades. But again, it would be more difficult, especially if you have more than one blade. Also, the blade strength is pretty darn good as is (I was surprised by it), and a little glue would make it really strong.