Thread: Wood gas?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fingie
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
IIRC the lack of lead was not a great concern in those early VW engines, since they can run easily on ethanol and gaseous fuels.

What kind of hardware would you be considering to use to convert an EFI engine to wood gas? Do you think the same systems currently used for those CNG and LPG conversions would be OK?

You could eventually try some variable-compression setup, allowing you to retain some limp-home mode on gasoline/petrol. Unless you would rather use ethanol for that matter

Probably just some standard thing like Arduino.

Controlling an engine is "Just" a bunch of inputs and outputs to control it. My coder friend could make a software to make the computer simply adjust the mixture and air inlet according to the lamda sensor.

I could use a SPFI carb system to act as a valve body and/or as a backup.

This is a faraway project. First, i'll make the generator.

If I can find a good design, I think i'll get a GMC sierra instead of a van, saw one of those yesterday :3

(yeah, we Finns liked American vehicles back in the day, nowadays it's the JDM scene that has catched on in the enthusiast side. In the daily traffic, the only americans are just Chrysler Voyagers, Daewoo-Chevrolet and Dodge/Fiat cahooeys. The new Jeep renegade looks nice tho)

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!

Last edited by Fingie; 12-20-2016 at 03:58 PM..