View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
cowmeat
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
The issues that I foresee based upon my experience with reversing cameras are:

Total lack of depth perception due to the loss of stereo vision.
Your eye's focusing accommodation time when changing from distance to the much closer monitor surface.
Whiteout when the sun is behind you
Night vision- headlights from behind will tend to destroy any usefulness at night by flooding the camera and lifting the auto brightness level.
Reflection from the card windows.
Sun Glare and night viewing of the monitors. I find they need to be recessed quite a bit to achieve this.
I dunno, I replaced the rear view mirror in my first Insight with a rear view monitor (which my kid still uses these days). I hooked it up through the DVD player and ran power from the rear defroster, and I loved it for two reasons: #1- there's actually a pretty big blind spot on the sides of a G1 Insight, and the wide angle view reduced the blind spot to zero, and #2 - I was able to install a permanent insulated sun shade on the rear window, deflecting the crazy Florida heat away from the IMA battery.

If I had thought of the side view cameras I would have done that on Ron Burgundy, especially since I already had the tiny side mirrors installed.

Pretty cool, Ecky