View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #137 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evtower View Post
Slowmover wrote; "And about a 100-150-mile roundtrip.
So, at best, a very short distance weekend trip.
Defines current state of the art for EV+TT. At present
Is this fair?
Thus, an Alto 1743, with 15-gls water capacity at a dead minimum of 1.5-GPS water per person per day = 10-days. Really, a week without bathing.
See where this goes when seen this way?"

You appear to be assuming that in my case my goal is boondocking for many days if not weeks at a time. I am unclear as to why you assume that. I certainly recognize the boondocking limitations of a trailer with relatively small holding tanks. I can do the math. I might do a few days of boondocking but I also envision staying in campgrounds with services.

Regarding charging my EV, the Tesla Supercharger network is extensive and is expanding rapidly. See https://www.tesla.com/supercharger . In addition, electrical outlets are widely available.

Again, I understand that a turbo diesel TV and a 9,000 lb trailer works best for you. I'm happy that you have such a great situation. I have no interest in owning an ICE vehicle or a large heavy trailer. I prefer an EV and a compact and lightweight trailer to use for short trips to the beautiful mountains and recreational areas that are just a one day drive from my home. I will not be living in my trailer for weeks at a time. I have a wonderful house, mortgage free, at my disposal.
The questions are the ones which are not about personal use so much as abstract combined rig analysis. For which I leave out purchase cost (which is years of ownership divided into nights of occupancy; which I favor over accumulated miles). We all know to look at car attributes. MPG and the rest to do with power consumption.

But we (the RV community) don't look at the complementary numbers of a particular RV.

With a travel trailer we are free to change the drivetrain at any moment.

So what, then, are the particular attributes of the travel trailer itself? Is it a good match to a class or classes of automobile (a truck is an auto)? What are it's limitations. Design usage? Engineered lifespan?

"Weight" isn't an attribute" of that trailer line. Not really. It's overshadowed by lack of aerodynamic efficiency, poor onboard capacities, lousy roadgoing manners, and a lifespan so short as to be disposable.

Keep looking.

What you buy is one thing. Your business. But if you came here for thoughts on MPG, then there is a larger picture. Pointing out a narrow versus a wide range or depth of TT capability is at the heart of that discussion.

Nights aboard at a single location without re-supply is the summation for a TT.

A TT low on this score -- AND that has the problems above -- is the equivalent of a gas guzzling underpowered automobile.

The very moment I have to move the rig or make a solo supply run, I've killed MPG.

MPG with RVs almost doesn't exist as a topic. I've tried for a dozen years online in many vehicle specific and RV forums. I'm down to about three, now. And for fifty years before that have always understood it to be pertinent.

The points about my trailer have to do with assumptions made that size kills MPG. That "weight" kills MPG with a TT. Other factors must enter into that discussion first.

Some further perspective: when are reports of a particular vehicles MPG accurate and relevant? Not until the operator has maximum passengers and gear aboard with certified Scale tickets at hand plus vehicle manufacturer specifications. Driving around solo is a stunt. Nearly without meaning. For not until we know the shortcomings of a loaded vehicle can we appraise it.

For that solo automobile the percentage change between driver/empty to fully loaded is as revealing as for the RVer from driver/solo vehicle to the automobile with all family members aboard, full fuel and gear as if vacationing (same for trailer: full propane and fresh water plus gear & supplies).

Vehicle specification. Is all we've covered.

Next is climate. Then terrain. Last is driver motivation, big as it is.

Generally, there are few accurate comparisons available. Possible. The guy from work who otherwise the exact same rig as mine won't be a good comparison to mine if he won't also do some testing.

The greatest gains are with the driver once the above is sorted. But it doesn't get done. So there's no way to isolate the effects. To find out what really works (as RR problems -- mainly mechanical -- themselves aren't ever isolated).

And it isn't difficult, which is the pity.

I really don't care if Joe Bob gets 47-mpg in an EPA 32-mpg car. Not without a lot of the all important context of analysis. It's just noise.

The commuter car owners and others around here with bragging rights are as dishonest as the RV owners in willing analysis.

We chase our tails.

Last edited by slowmover; 12-31-2016 at 10:00 AM..