View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
ecoxantia
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
Indeed Citroen kept their hydro-pneumatic suspension largely unchanged from the 50's up until year 2000. Their larger cars still use a version of it.

I believe the C5 and maybe others do indeed lower ride height at speed for economy. These are not high-end cars in terms of cost, either. The ride height and attitude is maintained regardless of load - another economy advantage.

However on most models Citroen do not give the facility for height changes at highway speeds - I guess this would mean the driveshafts would be operating at permanently offset positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post

come to think of it, the old citroens like the DS did have this special suspention that would cause the cars to "sit down" when it was parked and than raise to a cerain level depending on the weight they where carying... these cars had fixed rear wheel fairings

but could lift a wheel of the ground so that it would drop out of the wheelwell and could be removed.... clever stuff for it's time and even now, i even think you could select various ride heights. sooo the technology for variable ride height is definately out there.

in fact later 80's and early 90's citroens had really gread drag quoefficients as well so with a little tweaking and aeromodding that could be an interesing starting point for a project.