Thread: 2001 Insight
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Drove back to the USA yesterday. Threw back on the Insight rims + RE92s and promptly drove into a snowstorm. Made it through okay though.

Unbeknownst to me there was a damaged aero panel on the bottom of the car, it was actively dragging in the wind and made it very hard to maintain target speeds (120 km/h in Ontario, and then 135 km/h in USA where speed limit is 70mph). I thought it was the weather and wind and the 200lbs of stuff in the car, but later in Ohio I pulled over and saw that my front plastic panel was broken (again) and acting as a sort of air brake. I removed it and continued my journey and saw much better numbers thereafter, but the FCD was down in the mid 30's for a while, I could not believe it. So yeah, turns out something was very wrong. Aero matters a lot.

So I was feeling kinda down about my most recent tank, worst one yet (partially because of that aero drag), but what I did was I temporarily set the car to have the EPA estimate of my Mustang (I bought the Insight to save money) which is only 19mpg, and well according to the log, by driving the Insight instead of the Mustang, I've saved $2500 since May 2016 because I've driven so much. So that was good to see.

I bought the car to save money, and well those savings since keeping the log (started driving it 7 months before I started the log which means I've saved even more!!) are more than the purchase price of the vehicle. There's also another $600 saved in cheaper insurance costs.

I've spent about $3000 total on the car, that's buying it ($1500 CAD) and getting RE92s and getting it road worthy (new lower cat, etc) so I'm really happy to see it's paying itself off so quickly with how much I drive.

Last edited by Natalya; 12-31-2016 at 01:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Natalya For This Useful Post:
Ecky (12-31-2016)