View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #55 (permalink)
Lemmy
Ecomodding Englishman

The Turdis - '05 Smart Fortwo Cabrio Passion
My experience as a 2007 Gen II owner potential problems include...

Rust on the underbody if it's come from a wet climate. Mine was getting quite bad. In fact, never seen another post turn of the century car that got as bad. The upper body looked great though, and the bloke who bought it was lulled into a false sense of security by that and didn't look underneath. Phew!

Front wheel bearings go with clockwork regularity, but are easy enough to replace.

Front wheel ABS sensors get fragile with age and often don't survive the wheel bearing being replaced.

ABS sensor screws can corrode and shear.

CD player can fail.

And finally, a conventional diesel car or small bore petrol car will beat it for economy, so what's the point? We were running a Peugeot 3008 HDI diesel and a Peugeot 107 three jug petrol along side the Pious, and both kicked the Pious in the balls and stole its lunch money when it came to economy. So why bother building a petrol powered car, then saddling it with the weight, complication and manufacturing pollution of motors and batteries if that's the best they could do.

Apart from the quite significant underside rust it went up to 150k with only minor niggles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmy For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (01-01-2017)