View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #58 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
I drove it very well, with under and post grad degrees in branches of physics I understand what makes the Pious tick. Regularly into the high 70's imperial MPG with my tank to tank figures with every day domestic driving. The problem is, conventional cars available to us here are capable of the same without the expense of the hybrid drivetrain, and some of them also have a bit of performance should the situation demand it/driver require it. Its a shame you guys in the US don't get a wider range of economical cars, but I understand things are slowly changing.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Pious. I'm physically a big guy at 6'5" and 280lbs, but it could accommodate me, was relaxing to drive, comfortable, and driven in the hybrid style was quite a relaxing way to waft from A to B, but compared to some of the other more conventional vehicles on the market it was not top of the economy tree. With the cost, complication and environmental impact of its manufacture it had no right not to be.
The 3008 doesn't seem to test super well compared to the Prius.

Peugeot - 3008 - 1.6 HDi (112 Hp) - Technical specifications, Fuel economy (consumption)

Toyota - Prius II (NHW20) - 1.5 i 16V WT-i (76 Hp) - Technical specifications, Fuel economy (consumption)

That sounds like those cars might have the same "throw emissions out the window" attitude VW and other manufacturers when the car's being driven normally.

In terms of the extra environmental impact, you're only looking at 1% more GHGs and 2% more energy to build a HEV compared to a conventional car (Page 29).

https://energy.mit.edu/wp-content/up...-07-003-RP.pdf