Thread: 2001 Insight
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 AM   #68 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Alright, whatever you do Ecky, don't build the discharger into the charger. Here's my discharger in action:

Don't worry about those wires on the side, they're just sitting there.

This is first the stage. I have the 12v fan going and the 500W lightbulb. Even with the fan this thing got HOT. The box, realistically, is apparently too small. Just because it fits everything doesn't mean its big enough.

The box heated up so much it began to melt that lower carpet piece, which is why there's a plate there in this photo. Now I need to get a new one of those. The plastic components inside the box also started to melt pretty fast. I'm talking about the voltmeter and the 12v power supply. I had to coat those with that aluminum foil tape to reflect the heat. The original switch for the 500W bulb also got fried. You can see I temporarily put in that giant toggle switch, it's got a higher current rating on it. The 12V supply, even after I coated it with the foil tape, well it began to short out because it was operating too hot. Now this is a junky 1A 12V wall wort supply, so I can replace that with a fancy one like my grid charger has, but point is the whole thing just gets way too hot.

Bull Dog's dischargers had all the lights mounted on the exterior, if I rebuild this or make a V2 I'm going to use a design like that for better heat dissipation.

What I don't know, because I'm not an electrician, is what happens if I use a lower wattage bulb. Let's say I replaced the 500W with a 300W, would the bulb just die from the voltage, or would everything be fine and it just not throw off as much heat?
Go with 250w one from Wal mart. I have been using one forever.