View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #145 (permalink)
1.5Ldave
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevette View Post
"...seems to be..."? How concrete is this? "Over-inflating the tires beyond recommended pressures ... no measurable improvement in MPG (sic)." I do not know what planet you live on, sir ... but in my neck of the woods, your words carry no weight. Any IMSA person ( myself included) knows to the contrary.
Tire science is surrounded by half-truths and legend. If one but "follows the money", they will clearly see the tire industry is fiercely competitive...and the gaining of sales contracts is the life-blood of this industry. So ... given these parameters, can we safely say the industry does not want to endorse the raising of cold pressures ... which will increase the life of the tire ( as well as improve handling and traction)? After all, replacement tires fuel the industry.
And who is gambling with their life for the sake of a gallon of fuel? I thought you just stated there was no measurable improvement in MPG? Now you're talking "a voilent end-swapper" if you change the pressures. This is fear tactics....
The truth is : traction is improved markedly with a small (reasonable) increase in tire pressure, firming the foundation carcass rubber ( reducing tread squirm). Reducing tread squirm cools the rubber and lengthens tread life.
Cars which "break loose" at the front first (understeer) are more forgiving...mushy... and cars which "break loose" at the rear ( oversteer) need to be "steered" with the counter-steer / throttle / hand brake. With the majority of drivers on the road being virtual idiots under either condition...does it really matter about tire pressure bias? "They" lock 'em & hang on!
I'll stop now. Have a nice day.... -Ted Hart / ex-IMSA / Z twist, S twist

Traction and handling are not the same thing, traction will usually decrease with more pressure, and increase with more footprint gained by lower pressure. drag slicks usually only use 7-10 psi, and when offroad a lot of trail guys drop down to the teens.

Handling reponse is improved with more pressure though, auto cross and road track cars usually have a higher pressure for better steering control and more road feel.