View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
HeadlesNorseman
Honda Head

Rescue Toaster - '90 Honda Civic
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
Making a HOW-TO hypermile video... need advice

after acquiring some gopro gear and a good 8-9 years of hypermiling, before i found this forum even.. i believe i want my first project to be a "how to hyper mile" series consisting of 3 levels... and some input would be nice. Ive been driving for uber, and have done pizza delivery in the past where i initially developed some hyper miling techniques, and i want to share it to the uber forum as well

The first would cover the basics, that your burning gasoline to move the vehicle... so the accelerator is putting energy in, the brakes are wasting it, covering basic principals of driving without brakes and energy management, training your right foot to be a little more sensitive, and looking ahead for possible stops and obstacles, overall situational awareness, and route selection, and keeping your vehicle in shape and tires inflated

the 2nd would cover more specific and slightly more advanced hypermiling, like using land marks on your local routes to count down how far your car will roll(leading into engine off coasting in the future), how to handle hills, which im still not even entirely sure is the best way, and how to deal with tail gaters and other angry people that dont like to roll to a stop

the third would cover more of the fringe benefits and advanced issues, like engine off coasting, zero idling, pulse and glide, maintaining momentum through corners when it is safe, all the weird things such as parking lot orbiting and pushing your car in reverse so you dont have to start it right away

ANY INPUT on the script or main ideas covered would be great, as i plan on making this for the total layman and/or young pizza delivery driver