View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
briantrice
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmo View Post
Such tails are good for a motorway cruiser but I have to filter and go down narrow city streets, usually on the edge of what is allowed/sensible to get pole position at the traffic light if you know what I mean
There will be a small improvement on the rear for charger mounting and added drag resistance but the benefit of front fairing is that you can just scoop up an existing fairing and adapt it instead of breaking new grounds.
There will be a tail, just shorter: not the ideal 7 degrees but Kamm ended and probably 10 degrees which with a 6" wide Kamm back makes a tail only 31" from the back edge of the luggage rack.

I'll attach a CAD screenshot of the outline comparison.

What I've spent time on is making sure I can easily remove the tail by using the luggage rack for attachment points and the seat plus top rack for another support. So the construction has been a thought process.

The other difficulty is an effective way to craft a rounded front / seatback for the tail. Any thoughts? For the DSR, I need to put chargers there (on the passenger seat) for ideal load distribution, which I bought a used but suitably-dimensioned Pelican case to mock up and it seems workable. The Pelican case is just too rectangular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmo View Post
The dustbin looks good an such but the gaping hole in it looks kinda odd if I'm honest... How about extending it a bit with the milk carton stuff? Did you already noticed increased range?
The polycarbonate windscreen to cover that area is on order right now and will be ready by Monday. Unfortunately, I'll be on a trip for a week, so won't be able to pick it up and try it until MLK today (following Monday).

I only get the most modest of benefits right now, maybe 10% at best. The airflow is much smoother and it is really doing enough work that my windscreen design is now unsuitable overall (it'd be fine for most riders but I can tell that I might actually benefit switching back to Zero's MRA windscreen with the spoiler).