View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 02:37 AM   #49 (permalink)
briantrice
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
Brian, are you talking about putting a 90 corner radius around the front edge of the seat back? If so, you could take sections from PVC pipe split lengthwise (or whatever tube of the appropriate radius you can find) to make the long straight runs then fill in between them with plaster/bondo and use spline of a matching radius (to the tubing) to form the filler. Let it harden up, sand a bunch, then pull a fiberglass mold off of that (or if it is nice enough use that "mold" as the final part).

You could also cut some radiused stations to go inside the bondo (like an egg-crate body buck) to help you get a nice surface on it.

Or just glue up a bunch of easily-sanded wood scraps to make a big U shape and then cut/file/sand that to match the tail section and form the radius.
I am willing to make massive compromises so that it takes ten times less complication/effort than that.

More specifically, the idea of a seat back is not what I intend; it's merely the language that everyone seems to use around the topic of tails. I do not want my back to rest against anything; I just need a round shape of the right size to serve as the lead for the tail.

That said, I have read your posts and your website and do respect your perspective. It's just that I do not value something boutique or requires a lot of bespoke crafting. I want something simple that I can document in plans and drawings for others to repeat or iterate on.

For context, I have a totally unlit single-car garage with one 110V outlet, partly used for the garage door opener, and I commute nearly two hours per day on top of a software startup workload, so my fabrication time and ability to work on an elaborate plan is very limited.